Our AlterG anti-gravity treadmill can benefit individuals from a diverse range of backgrounds. There are significant benefits for all - from those with low levels of health & fitness and impaired movement capabilities, to those with high levels of conditioning and elite performance goals...
What is an Alter-G Anti Gravity Treadmill?
Originally conceived by Dr Robert Whalen to design effective exercise regimens for NASA’s astronauts, Differential Air Pressure (DAP) technology has been adapted by AlterG for use in training and rehabilitation. Unweighting is achieved in the AlterG by using air in a pressure-controlled chamber to gently lift the user.
The AlterG can be used for a number of goals:
- Accelerated rehabilitation of lower extremity injuries
- Weight management training to improve fitness and general health
- Conditioning sessions for endurance and field sports athletes.
- General training to slow the effects of ageing
- Walk and run to recover health
... specifically for runners, athletes and fitness enthusiasts
- Run more miles with less orthopaedic stress and injury risk
- Increase running mileage and training volume
- Increase running speeds whilst decreasing joint stress and impact
How can you make use of the AlterG anti-gravity treadmill technology at our Cardiff clinic?
You don’t have to be an existing client of Health & Sports Physiotherapy - our Alter-G is available to anyone...
Who can book to use our Alter-G?
- Therapists who wish to bring their clients to our clinic for rehab sessions on the Alter-g
- Individual athletes (triathletes, marathon runners etc) who wish to optimise their training
- Inidividuals wishing to exercise to lose weight and improve health
- Current or previous clients of the clinic
We offer a variety of cost-effective ways to use the facility
You can either pay-as-you-go for 30, 45, 60 or 90 minutes sessions
Introduction - £45 (45min Induction with one of our team)
30 Minutes - £25
45 Minutes - £30
60 Minutes - £45
90 Minutes - £60
or you can buy one of 3 packages we offer to get generously discounted sessions and reduce costs further.
Alter-G 10 - £400 (10 hours access)
Alter-G 20 - £750 (20 hours access)
Alter-G 50 - £2000 (50 hours access)
Benefits of using the Alter-G
When you train with high volume, particularly in activities like running and triathlon, the impact on the joints and strain on the muscles and tendons accumulates. AlterG allows runners to expand or maintain their mileage significantly with reduced orthopaedic stress. Long runs and brick sessions take on new meaning and offer fresh opportunites with the AlterG.
When you are aiming to reduce bodyweight to healthier levels, one challenge is to achieve a sufficient time walking or running to support the dietary changes you have made. Because the AlterG can reduce bodyweight to as low as 20% of normal, it allows longer periods of training activity with less joint stress. Reduce impact - Excercise more - Lose Weight.
SPORTS PERFORMANCE AND RUNNING CONDITIONING
Aside from the benefits of recovery that reduced bodyweight running offers sports men and women, runners, and outdoor enthusiasts, the Alter-G gives a significant boost to Marathon, Triathlon, Ultradistance and Ironman event preparation. The impact of running can cause pain to injured feet, ankles, knees, hips and backs. Hitting the bodyweight % button on the Alter-G reduces impact incrementally to a point where you can begin walking/running again pain free and then systematically progress back to the road, track, sports field, trail, court or gym.
After any surgery, but particularly orthopaedic procedures, people can face a long road of recovery before being able to move with ease and confidence. Whether low back surgery or an ACL knee ligament repair the AlterG enables clients to step out of a protective boot or put the crutches to one side and begin partial but positive weight bearing to stimulate healing and increase confidence.
- Allows you to move pain-free again.
- Enables weight-bearing exercise sooner while protecting sensitive healing tissues.
- Encourages range of motion, shown to improve outcomes.
- Reduces gravitational forces to help maintain – or regain – healthy conditioning.
- Potential treatment applications: Post-fracture, Post-operative rehab, ACL reconstruction, Meniscectomies & meniscus repairs, Microfracture, Total hip & total knee replacement, Achilles reconstruction, Post-injury rehab
Frequently asked questions
What should I wear?
You need to use specially fitted neoprene shorts while in the AlterG treadmill, so your own tight fitting shorts will work well underneath. We do have a range of sizes available for you to borrow that are cleaned and disinfected between each use.
It is best to wear a comfortable pair of trainers, like you would on any treadmill, but at times we may want you to be barefoot.
Can I use the Alter G alongside my Physiotherapy sessions?
YES!! We may recommend that you do both. For example, if you have just had a knee replacement you may see your physiotherapist first for a 30 minute physiotherapy session to release tight soft tissues and help reduced inflammation around your knee, then following that session complete a 30 minute individual programme on the Alter G.
I have private medical insurance does it cover using the Alter G?
The Alter G is covered under some private medical insurance policies, however as part of your policy you may only be able to claim for a set number of sessions. So in this instance it may be in your best interests for your private medical sessions to cover the physiotherapy sessions and for you to self fund your Alter G sessions.